- Review the memory verse of the week, and talk about how it relates to the Truth section.
- TRUTH – Review the IN BIBLE section. The goal of this week’s exercise was to help your JG members think critically about using “the rod” as a means of corrective discipline. An answer key is included that will help you suggest possible interpretations for each Proverb. Allow your JG to discuss any of the principles of corrective discipline that interest them.
The wrong motive…
hate (a lack of concern for my child’s spiritual character)
negligence in corrective discipline
The right motive…
love (primary concern for my child’s spiritual character)
consistent corrective discipline
The normal state of my child’s heart is inclined toward irresponsibility and foolishness
The rod of corrective discipline helps to train my child in the way of the Lord
The feared result of using the rod…
My child will suffer lifelong physical or emotional injury
The actual result of using the rod…
Save soul from Sheol (corrective discipline will help guide my child away from unrighteousness that leads to eternal death)
The result of using the rod…
My child will gain a heart of wisdom – thinking about God, himself, and the world
The result of neglecting the rod…
My child’s lifestyle will bring shame and disgrace to his mother
- EQUIPPING – Ask your JG members to share from their journals and at least one specific, measurable application. If someone’s applications aren’t specific and measurable, let the JG participate in helping improve the application.
- ACCOUNTABILITY – Allow time for smaller groups of two or three to ask accountability questions and pray for one another.
- MISSION – Give your JG sufficient time to talk about missed opportunities, and use the discussion to encourage your JG to be more intentional about creating and taking advantage of opportunities. Reinforce the idea that prayer is the key. God will open doors of opportunity as people pray, asking God to use them as His ambassadors.Invite a few of your JG members to share what they recorded in the Mission Activity Log as a way to encourage others to make use of this tool. Consider discussing your availability during the summer months to meet with your JG members for coaching, encouragement, and accountability.